Thursday, 08 March 2012 14:07
Flash Floods Affecting Klang Valley Residents
KUALA LUMPUR, 8 MARCH, 2012: A continuous heavy downpour and flash floods since yesterday affected the daily routine of most residents in the Klang Valley following an extraordinary traffic congestion on major routes leading to Kuala Lumpur.
A check by Bernama found that heavy traffic congestions occurred at the entrance to the capital including at the Maju Expressway, Middle Ring Road Two and a North-South Expressway (PLUS).
A PLUS spokesman said traffic congestion was reported at the PLUS toll plaza heading to the city this morning due to the closure of the SMART tunnel since 6:30am.
Meanwhile, the continuous heavy rain had also resulted in the death of Raja Mohd Irfan Raja Azlan, 13, who died at 11.50pm while being treated at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital after being buried by a landslide for 30 minutes.
Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue department spokesman said Raja Mohd Irfan was buried by a landslide while playing at the back of the police quarters in Jalan Belfield, Kampung Attap last night and the Kuala Lumpur Hospital confirmed his death due to suffocation after being rescued by fire and rescue personnel.
Officer-in-charge of Hulu Langat Fire and Rescue station, Rafie Sapar said a total of 413 victims had been transferred to the surau at Kampung Belacan when the water level rose rapidly at 8.30pm.
"As of today, they are still at the surau while waiting for the water to subside," he said when contacted by Bernama.
He said a total of 150 houses were flooded in Kampung Belacan with the water level at two meters.
He said a fire and rescue team with 31 personnel, had provided four boats to evacuate people who were trapped in their homes.
He said flooding also occurred at Batu 12 Hulu Langat with 661 residents being transferred to the temporary relief centers at Sekolah Kebangsaan Sungai Serai and Sungai Serai Hall.
"A total of 82 firefighters and seven boats were used to evacuate the victims after the water rose last night at 8pm and as of today, the water was still one and a half meters deep," he said.
100% Proof Paul McCartney Was Replaced - 100% Proof Paul McCartney Was Replaced Paul McCartney’s son says Paul died in 1966 Paul Is Not Dead! – John Lennon Interview About Paul Is Dead
2 months ago