Monday, December 19, 2011

Chong Wei’s autobiography set to hit market after world meet

Chong Wei’s autobiography set to hit market after world meet

Monday, 25 Jul 2011

By RAJES PAUL

An autobiography of Malaysia’s most successful badminton player Lee Chong Wei is set to hit the market after he accomplishes his task at the World Championships which will be held at Wembley from Aug 8-14.

The production of his first ever book is one of the many outside activities that Chong Wei has been juggling together with his strenuous training sessions over the last few months leading to his sixth world championships outing.

The book is about his life as a badminton player and it is meant to give courage and hope for many aspiring youngsters, whose dreams are to make it big in badminton or in any other sports.

Besides working on the book, Chong Wei has also been involved in many promotional events as part of his obligation and duties of being a national player, brand ambassadors of many products and commitments to inspire youngsters through coaching clinics.

He also has his name tied up with academies and training halls, which are run by his family members and friends.

Chong Wei, who has been holding on to his World No. 1 tag for the last four years, said that prioritising events was the key to avoiding a chaotic life.

“My priority has always been badminton. I am where I am because of badminton. I give utmost importance to training and having a good deal of rest. The other activities are planned in such a way that they do not interfere with my badminton training and travel,” said Chong Wei.

“I train half day on Thursdays and so I am able to do other things on this day – like recording from the television, attending functions and etc. I also make sure that I have good rest in between my training schedule and other activities. It takes a lot of discipline to do it.

“And this year, I have engaged a consultant team to help me manage my outside activities and that really helps too.”

For Chong Wei, there are three key professionals working behind the scene – one is a brand consultant, one is a finance adviser and the other looks into all the legal matters.

Of all the outside ventures he had done, Chong Wei said that he had a special spot for the upcoming book.

“It is about my life. It talks about the people behind my journey as a badminton player. Hopefully, my life experiences will encourage others and motivate them to realise their dreams. More details of this book will be given later,” he said.

On his world championships’ preparation, Chong Wei said: “My back problem has been treated and I have resumed my training sessions in full force. It is back to the same old regime in training.”

Chong Wei conceded a walkover in the semi-finals of the Kedah Open two weeks ago after suffering muscle spasms on his back. It was the same injury that saw him run out of steam against Indonesia’s Taufik Hidayat in the quarter-final of last year’s world meet in Paris.

Today, Chong Wei, who has been seeded No. 1 in the world meet, will find out the path that he has to take in his bid to become the country’s first world champion when the Badminton World Federation (BWF) unveils the draw for the world meet at a hotel here in Kuala Lumpur.

Then, Chong Wei and the other Malaysian shuttlers will leave for Bath University for a short centralised training from July 27-Aug 4 to get acclimatised to the weather and also to focus on training sessions without any major distractions.

Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment